Please send all questions and comments to JordanBaer1@gmail.com

Please send all questions and comments to JordanBaer1@gmail.com

Monday, January 24, 2011

As The Aces Win # 600 At Roberts Stadium, Memories Begin To Pour In


(Photo Credit: GoPurpleAces.com; Clicking on image will not go to website)

Aces fans witnessed another great and historic Roberts Stadium moment this past weekend as the Aces defeated the Bradley Braves for their 600th win at Roberts Stadium. The Aces are now 600-230 all-time at Roberts Stadium. That is a pretty impressive record for this venue to hold onto.

With this being one of the last few games at Roberts Stadium for the Aces, the University of Evansville has decided to publish memories from different fans. The following are some of the memories that you can view on GoPurpleAces.com. If you have anymore please send them in. Let's let the Aces and their fans know that this venue is filled with memories and great moments in college basketball history...

http://gopurpleaces.com/sports/2010/11/2/GEN_1102105213.aspx?id=221

Fifty-five years and more than 800 games later, we have reached the final year for Roberts Municipal Stadium. Help us celebrate the final men's game on Saturday, Feb. 26 at 2:00 CST and the final women's game on Saturday, March 5, also at 2:00 CST. Coaches Marty Simmons and Misty Murphy are inviting back all former UE basketball coaches, players, managers, athletic trainers, cheerleaders, dance team members, pep band members and Ace Purples for the final men's and women's games at Roberts Stadium. If you fit into one of those categories, contact the Aces at (812) 488-ACES to reserve your special tickets. Next season, the Aces will be in the new downtown arena. In the meantime, check out what Aces' fans remember best about Aces Basketball at Roberts Stadium:

Fan Comments:

"Bomba, Brand, Haffner, all the guys were electric. The band was jumping. The cheerleaders being awesome. Having Sascha dunk. UE Basketball at its best--the Jim Crew years."
-Chris Allen, 41

"No question, the UE vs SW Missouri State game that clinched the MVC conference crown in 99. It was senior night and my son played his last game that night. What a great way to end the season and his career at UE."
-Lee Begle, 60

"Pep Club and cheerleaders led hundreds of students in a parade down Lincoln Ave. to the McCurdy Hotel where the SIU team was staying. We held a pep rally right there. UE beat SIU that night."
-Carol Vaught Cates '67

"Roberts Stadium felt like home."
-Marilyn McCutchan Lisman

"Watching Shy Ely and the ally-oop dunks and wins!"
-Mitchell Jackson, 14

"Picking a single favorite memory is tough. My mind is flooded with countless great Roberts Stadium moments from my childhood.
I remember how excited I would get when the Aces season tickets arrived in the mail. I am grateful to have a father who enjoyed taking me to the games. How vividly I recall our drives to Roberts, listening to Jack Buck (and later Adam Alexander) for their pre-game thoughts. I loved the feeling of entering the stadium, walking through the Section 11 entryway and seeing the sea of purple inside as the Aces warmed up and the fight song rang loudly. Each time felt new. If I was forced to pick a single Roberts moment, I guess it would have to be Marcus Wilson's shot from the corner in '99 to win UE the Missouri Valley Conference championship. I remember the ball hitting the rim and popping way in the air. The ball paused at its peak forever, or so it felt. I can still see it. You could hear a pin drop as fans waited to see where it would fall. It fell right through the net. The crowd exploded. Evansville had done it. "We are the Champions" played over the loudspeakers as fans celebrated wildly. What a night. Roberts will be missed not because of the building itself but because the building evokes memories of the magnificent players, teams, fans, plays and games that made it great. Roberts Stadium will be gone but the spirit will live eternally through those of us who were fortunate enough to be a part of it."
-Brandon Gaudin

"So many memories!!!! Maybe the best was the night that Evansville College hosted Al McGuire's Belmont Abbey team. Coach McGuire promised a win, but guaranteed everyone in attendance that if his team lost to the Aces everyone in the house would get a free ice cream sandwich. Needless to say the Aces won and everyone got their ice cream. Also, watching Larry Humes on fast breaks stop for his pattened 15' hook shot."
-Al Wink, 60

"I enjoyed attending games with my SAE brothers at Roberts while a student at UE in the early 80's. The stadium was usually packed and very loud! We enjoyed every game. After returning to the area after many years my wife and I enjoy attending the games and cheering on our favorite ACES!"
-Steve Bugg, 46

"The NCAA division two championship game when the Aces beat Southern Illinois 85-82 in overtime. Went with my mother, sat in section F, row 13. The Aces ended up 29-0 and it was Jerry Sloan's last game. Quite a memory among many for a boy that was eight years old at the time."
-Michael Espenlaub, 55

"Started going to ACES games when I was younger, watching Clint Cuffle. I loved watching the great shooters, including Jason Holsinger and Kyle Anslinger. The team with Holsinger, Anslinger, Ely, and Webster helped get a winning record. Now the team can look to improve off of the beast, Colt Ryan."
-Matt, 16

"Some of my fondest memories of Aces basketball are in the 70's. My dad was a U of E professor and loyal to basketball and music dept. Many years he took me and a friend to the games and what an awesome time we had. Daddy loved the Aces and faithfully bought the family season tickets. I miss daddy but will always have the memories of hanging out at Roberts Stadium with him and my family. Rest in peace Joe and Edythe Holt."
-Amy Holt Nalley, 48


"Watching the Purple Aces hold Kyle Korver to 5 points when they beat the then #9 ranked Creighton Bluejays."
-Ryan Williams, 28


"Watching Reed Jackson play...pure hustle! And Mark Hisle...pure shooter"
-Gwen Lewis


"Scott Haffner...cheered against him in high school, for him in college."
-Kevin Wohlford


"Snow storm and beating a nationally ranked Kyle Korver Creighton team!"
-Andrew Rheinhardt


"Marcus Wilson's winning shot against Missouri State to win the conference. I didn't think there was any way that shot was going in. I wish I could have seen Haffner play in person but I have only seen tapes of him playing."
-Michael Huff

"Haffner's 65 point game. Man we had those old bleachers rockin'."
-Paul Coleman, 45

"As a former Ace Purple, I spent a lot of time cheering and rooting for my Aces at Roberts. My favorite moments were when the roof was leaking and I pulled out an umbrella and held it over the ball boys wiping the floor. A photo of this made the newspaper.. Entertaining crowds on my own or with the help of the Pacer mascot or the Bear from the Utah Jazz. It was always a wonderful time...a great fan base and some great games.. Another favorite moment was being recognized as Ace on Senior Day. "
-Trevor Ruszkowski, 33

"There was an ice storm in Evansville. Team, officials all here. Coach Crews saw me on campus and said 'you'd better be ready to play.' We won - and after the game - we - the team - were in the locker room, chest bumping and whooping it up. Coach Crews came in and said 'what are you guys doing??!!!' We were like 'we just beat Xavier, Coach.' He said "get out there and thank those 9000 people who risked their lives to come here and watch you play.' And we did. I will always remember that. It has stayed with me forever. Our fans."
-Marty Simmons

"SLU's Anthony Bonner had to be restrained by police after the game from coming into the student section. The student section was living rent free inside his head for 40 minutes."
-Anonymous, 41

"So many great memories at Roberts Stadium. Marty Simmons 3hreeeeeee points. I loved watching Marty play and still enjoy watching him Coach. I guess if I had to pick just one moment it would be Haffner's 65 point game. It was one of the greatest scoring outbursts in NCAA history and we saw it LIVE at Roberts Stadium. Thanks for the Memories!"
-Vance Lloyd, 40

"How about the NCAA tourney held at Roberts in 1983? There was not a seat left in the house and I suspect there were many people standing as well. The place was packed! As the wife of the sports information director, Bob Boxell, I was recruited to help out. Just before IU hit the floor, I was approached by one of the IU assistant coaches. He requested that I find a private room for Coach Knight to go to so he could have a quiet moment before the game. I looked at this coach like he was nuts for even thinking there might be such a place. I ended up taking Coach Knight to the boiler room and leaving him there to have his "moment."
-Marta Boxell

"As an 8th grader our Delaware BB team was given tickets and we were able to watch Buster Briley and the Aces beat Akron for a National Championship."
-C. Ray Minton, Jr.

"Definitely when fans would stomp on the bleachers...the stadium would absolutely rock. I'll miss that old place, but look forward to making the new stadium a difficult place for opposition. Go Aces."
-Glenn Reitz, 51

"Sea of red."
-Mark Nelson, 58

"I also miss/remember Crazyman and his section of wild fans. So many great times at Roberts! The memories keep coming back as the end nears for the Stadium. I almost cried when Busch Stadium came down and Roberts will prob. be the same."
-Vance Lloyd, 40

"Aces v ISU and Larry Bird in December of 1978. (The year ISU went to NCAA final game undefeated) This was just a few games into the new era after the crash. Larry Bird was phenomenal, on one occasion sliding out of bounds onto the concrete to chase a loose ball, leaving long streak of sweat. I literally thought the roof of Roberts would come off when Barry Weston slammed a dunk home to tie the game with about a minute to go. Quite possible the most excited I've ever been at a basketball game."
-Brad Miller, 52

"The old days when we were in the MCC. Brad Leaf and Richie Johnson. And Coach Dick Walters."
-Daniel Ferguson, 41

"Watching the ACES upset #19 Xavier... Used to always go watch them when I lived in Henderson."
-Shag, 46

"The entire 1964-65 season with Jerry Sloan, Larry Humes & others capped by the National Championship victory over SIU & Walt Frazier."
-C Ray Minton Jr ('67)

"Saw a reference to Crazyman posted already, but I had to add my thoughts...I sat in sect.3 and was one of the "crazy fans" who yelled for the Aces through entire games. Crazyman led the cheers, started the wave, and we often brought lettered signs to support the team...I keep hoping Crazyman will return to the stadium and to his role of rocking Roberts. Two of my favorite memories are: the night Haffner scored 65 pts. and the night Parrish Casebier almost single-handedly defeated Notre Dame."
-M. Pyle


As you can see, the 830 + Aces games have left many memories inside of Roberts Stadium. For this reason, it is my strong, strong belief that we are doing a disservice to the city of Evansville, the University of Evansville, and the Purple Aces if we don't fight for Roberts Stadium.

Will Roberts Stadium ever return to its glory days? Probably not. However, does that mean that we should bulldoze this great venue over? Absolutely not. It is my firm belief that we have many reuse options for this Evansville icon and I am working on putting together a plan as we speak. We must save Roberts Stadium for the history of the Aces, for the history of Evansville, and for the history of the game!

(Photo Credit: GoPurpleAces.com; Clicking on image will not go to website)

No comments:

Post a Comment