Please send all questions and comments to JordanBaer1@gmail.com

Please send all questions and comments to JordanBaer1@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lon Walters Is Who We Need To Take Back The 2nd Ward



Although there are a few political races this year that have 2 candidates that both deserve your vote, the 2nd Ward isn't one of them. In the 2nd Ward, Lon Walters gives us the opportunity to do something we haven't had in that district in a long time- vision, independent thinking, and progress.

Lon is one of the candidates that I have gotten to know during this battle to save Roberts Stadium and I must say, I am thoroughly impressed with his quick and thorough responses to my questions, his dedication, and his desire to make something of the 2nd Ward and Roberts Stadium.

Most importantly to those of us who are fighting for Roberts Stadium, Lon Walters is a fierce Save Roberts Stadium advocate and he refuses to let politics sway his opinion. Unlike his opponent, who has proven that she will do whatever her party tells her to do, Lon has boldly gone out on his own to get the word out about the golden opportunity we have with Roberts Stadium. Lon forms his political beliefs by listening to his heart and his brain, not by listening to Democrat or Republican talking points.

Not only has Lon been willing to get the word out, he also been extremely helpful in helping me find answers to the Roberts Stadium dilemma. When a fan of this blog came here a few months ago with a question about the water pumps below the playing surface, Lon went and talked to several engineers (including ones who actually put the pumps in) to find the answers within a day of the question. This is what we came up with ...

http://saverobertsstadium.blogspot.com/2011/06/lets-discuss-roberts-stadiums-water.html

At all of the debates, the town hall meetings, and the neighborhood association events, Lon brings the article I wrote in the Courier & Press about Roberts Stadium to show residents what we need to do with this legendary venue. He truly is dedicated to keeping the arena that my grandpa built over 55 years ago.

Like I said about Rick Davis yesterday, if you won't vote for Lon Walters, who would you vote for? How many other candidates can you mention that will dedicate themselves this much to helping ordinary citizens solve Evansville's biggest problems?

On the flip side, Lon's opponent Missy Mosby has proven that she is part of the problem, not the solution.

For almost 2 years now, I have been working as a volunteer camera operator for WNIN/ Channel 9. I have filmed auctions, choirs, telethons, and debates. Throughout these 2 years, no one has complained about the work I have done, and WNIN has always thanked me many times for my volunteer work.

But last Wednesday before the City Council debates, I got my first complaint before I even walked in the door. Mosby's campaign director Alex Jarvis (yes THAT Alex Jarvis that was arrested on a Fall Festival float for a warrant ) decides to throw a temper tantrum about me working the cameras to all of my coworkers, directors, and colleagues despite the fact that I have NEVER had any complaints about my work (how can you alter a camera anyways?) and I have always been fair to anyone who comes into the WNIN studios.

Instead of gathering the facts, Mosby joined Jarvis immediately in complaining to the WNIN staff. I find the notion that I would somehow alter a camera to be highly offensive especially given the fact that my camera didn't even film Mosby. Like she is doing with Roberts Stadium, Mosby jumped to conclusions, refused to investigate the situation, and only looked out for herself. We cannot afford to have these type of people deciding the fate of Roberts Stadium.

Most importantly, that incident tells me one thing for sure- the Mosby camp is scared to death about the momentum we are building for Roberts Stadium on this blog. If you will remember from the Courier & Press article before the primary...

http://media.courierpress.com/media/static/ward2dems.pdf

Missy said this...

"Personally, I do not feel Evansville can support an arena and a stadium but would be open to ideas as long as these ideas show how and where the money will come from to fund the stadium."
First of all, this comment is one of the worst opinion pieces I have ever read. Although Roberts Stadium is called a stadium, it is an arena. We have two arenas, not 1 stadium and 1 arena.

Secondly, Mosby hasn't even done a fraction of the investigative work that Lon Walters has done. Lon has gone through the HNTB report I sent him off the new arena's website, he has talked to engineers who have worked on Roberts Stadium about the pumps, and he has followed leads on investors who are interested in putting 2 + teams, mid-size concerts, trade shows, youth sports events, and high school basketball tournaments inside the facility. Even with all of that, Lon is still working on saving Roberts Stadium as we speak!

What has Missy done to find a reuse option for Roberts Stadium? I honestly can't think of one single thing! For this reason, it is vitally important that we get the word out about the differences in these two candidates. Last spring, those in the 2nd Ward made a terrible mistake in not voting for Patrick McBride.

Now, the 2nd Ward has a 2nd chance! Let's not let great candidates like Lon Walters, who would do anything, anywhere, at any time for anyone, be kept from serving our town. For those living in the 2nd Ward, if you decide to do only one thing in your life for your community, make sure it's voting for Lon Walters.

Let's take back the 2nd Ward by voting for Lon Walters for the City Council!

1 comment: