Please send all questions and comments to JordanBaer1@gmail.com

Please send all questions and comments to JordanBaer1@gmail.com

Friday, June 1, 2012

Going All In On Roberts Stadium

investmentnews.com

With less than a week before the Parks Board meets to decide Roberts Stadium's fate, a meeting I am planning on attending, we now know that the mayor isn't going to tell us his recommendation until the meeting instead of the late May announcement we were originally told...

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=516152

I have been getting several phone calls, texts, and emails from residents, fans of Roberts Stadium, and task force members asking me if I know the answer. As usual, I am completely in the dark, and I know for sure the vast majority of the task force is in the dark on this one as well.

Obviously, I find this latest situation to be extremely disappointing but at the same time I also feel very nervous about the fate of Roberts given how this has been and still is playing out. There have also been reports of moving vans at Roberts Stadium. Whether these vans are preparing for demolition or clearing the way for renovations remains to be seen.

To be quite honest about it, I've currently got it pegged at 30-70 that we won't be able to pull this off and the right thing will not be done for Roberts Stadium. I've thrown everything at this that I could have possibly thrown at it, but I'm beginning to fear that it may not be enough. It seems that city hall is only interested in moving the goal posts instead of working to promote a mid-sized Roberts Stadium.

Although it's not looking good for Roberts Stadium and the city of Evansville, I pledge to fight for Roberts Stadium and the vast majority of residents that support this great facility until the final decision has been made.

As a matter of fact, Wednesday is probably going to decide if I sink or swim as a community activist here in Evansville. I am putting all of my chips on Roberts Stadium. If the Parks Board chooses to demolish Roberts Stadium it will be my Waterloo. I will likely have to relocate or remain in Evansville but travel to one of the nearby cities to help build community projects elsewhere. There is no way I would ever be able to get anything done whatsoever here if Roberts Stadium is demolished (nor would I want to) . I don't think there is any question about that. That would be a really, really tough decision I sure hope I'm not forced into making.

Some people have wondered why I would stack all of my chips on Roberts Stadium. To me, the answer is very simple- I would rather collapse under the weight of a good idea than to stand tall on an idea that is bad, corrupt, wrong, and/or unethical. I also like trying to accomplish the hard projects such as Roberts Stadium, Bosse Field, high speed rail, and the 2001 Downtown Master Plan. Anyone can grandstand on issues like Earthcare and the new arena, but rarely do we see political leaders willing to tackle the hard and unpopular issues.

It's been almost 2 full years since I began this blog. It's been quite a ride these past years. I have met so many Roberts Stadium supporters and advocates that I will never ever be able to remember them all. I appreciate their support by hosting rallys, putting up yard signs, buying Roberts Stadium shirts, sending emails and making phone calls to the mayor and other city officials, and coming to the Task Force meetings to let those in charge know that they better not mess with Roberts Stadium. I thank each and every one of you for your time and efforts.

There will be quite a bit on the line Wednesday. We're going to find out which side Mayor Winnecke really is on and we're also going to find out if the Parks Board has the guts to do the right thing in saving Roberts Stadium. I, like most of you, am not interested in a moral victory or second place. I WILL NEVER stand behind a plan drawn up by the mayor that requires the demolition of Roberts Stadium nor do I think anyone else in Evansville will either.

What I'm hoping to hear Wednesday is more than just a plan. I'm also looking for an answer to my question- Why? Why should we believe in our mayor and city officials to get Bosse Field back on track with the ball fields project? Why should we believe these are the city officials who are going to stand up for high speed rail? Why should we believe that putting our time in on this Task Force was worth it?

The mayor, as well as the Parks Board, will give us a strong answer to our question by what they do with Roberts Stadium. As I've said earlier, a mid-sized Roberts Stadium is...

1. Cheaper than the green space plan
2. More productive for the economy around it
3. More versatile for multiple events from a wide variety of tenants (able to satisfy ALL 3 groups)
4. Extremely popular with those who came to the Task Force meetings by an estimated ratio of 89-11
5. Able to be self-sufficient on its own revenue unlike a green space

If those aren't enough reasons to save Roberts Stadium and renovate it as a mid-sized arena, then I really don't know what reasons the mayor and the city would accept nor would I have any reason to believe that they were genuinely interested in Roberts Stadium. And if that plan isn't good enough for Roberts Stadium, why would anyone think the city would genuinely give a good faith effort to put together a plan for the area around Bosse

As we count down the days until the final decision, I truly hope that Mayor Winnecke has put a lot of thought into his decision as BOTH his career and mine will be defined and affected by this decision. This decision will follow me for the rest of my life. When the history books are finished, I want Save Roberts Stadium to have been successful just like the Conrad Baker Foundation was with the Old Courthouse, Old Jail, and the Coliseum.

I also hope that the mayor and the Parks Board fully understand that I am not looking for them to come up with yet another frivolous excuse to tear down Roberts Stadium Wednesday. Rather, I am asking them to help me revive the Roberts Revolution right here in Evansville. We can do some really great things here in the River City if our city is willing to light the torch by understanding the value of Roberts Stadium.

I'm ready to turn Evansville around by winning the battle for Roberts Stadium, and I sure hope you are to. I AM GOING ALL IN......


rharbridge.com

1 comment:

  1. Regardless of how this shakes out, you put up a hell of a fight. Don't take this as a personal defeat and run out of town with your tail between your legs. Pick yourself up, and throw yourself into the next civic cause that deserves your efforts.

    You put the powers that be on notice that everything just doesn't get a rubber stamp on it without accountability to the public. We need much much more of that and Evansville is better off with people of your passion.

    Maybe you can be the guy that saves the McCurdy and gets it back as a hotel?

    ReplyDelete